Staying focused at work isn’t always easy, especially when there are lots of distractions and piles of work to get done. However, there are tips that can help you to maintain concentration from the moment you arrive until the end of your work day. There’s no miracle for maintaining focus and concentration at work, and it can be tough when there are other things going on that require a great deal of dedication. After all, we all know that concentrating is difficult when there are noisy colleagues around and frequent meetings. Here are ten concentration tips that can help you stay on track in the workplace.
1. Stay Hydrated. Not drinking enough throughout the day can leave you feeling dehydrated and with intense brain fog. As well as causing you to feel thirsty, this can also cause you to struggle with concentration. Simply drinking regularly throughout the workday (eight 8-ounce glasses, to be exact) can help you to remain focused.
2. Turn Off Noise and Loud Music. Although a lot of people work better when relaxing music is being played, this doesn’t work when music is loud and distracting. Whether it’s the radio or the television, turning off noise and loud music can help you to concentrate. If you need some background noise, try relaxing classical or ambient music.
3. Remove Distractions. Smartphones and tablets are one of the biggest distractions at work, so place them out of sight. Receiving a notification can snap you out of your focus and it may not be easy to get back into what you were doing.
4. Create ‘To Do’ Lists. Creating ‘To Do’ lists is a good way to stay on top of all tasks. Instead of stressing and worrying about everything that needs to get done, remain focused by working through a thorough list. Create the list first thing in the morning so you can refer back to it throughout the day.
5. Set Deadlines and Timelines. Setting deadlines and timelines is a fantastic way to maintain stellar focus at work. Rather than flitting between multiple tasks, set time aside to ensure everything gets done.
6. Stay Full and Avoid Hunger. Feeling hungry is a major distraction when you’re at work, not to mention being hungry can prevent concentration. Ensure you have adequate meals and snacks throughout the day, and eat healthy foods that keep you full for longer, rather than sugars and fats. Try nootropics like l-theanine for a little extra boost, especially during the post-lunch energy slump.
7. Exercise and Stay Active. Exercise is a great way to focus your mind, so consider working out before or after work. If you don’t have the time, go for a quick walk during your lunch break, or just take the stairs instead of the elevator.
8. Maintain a Routine. Create a routine that you can stick to each day. Knowing what the day will entail and what’s coming next is a good way to stay focused in short bursts. It will also help you remain calm when you head home from a hectic day, as you will know when the next day will look like without feeling so overwhelmed.
9. Ask For Help When You Need It. Being overworked and overwhelmed can be detrimental to your productivity. There’s nothing wrong with asking for help, so ask for help if you’re struggling to get things done.
10. Get Enough Sleep. If you’re feeling tired, the chance are you won’t be able to concentrate and this can cause you to struggle with concentration. Getting a good night’s sleep can improve your focus considerably. Aim for seven to eight hours a night. If you have trouble sleeping, set up a nighttime sleep routine that includes a nice bath, chamomile tea, and no screens at least one hour before bed.